A critical thinking essay is one of the most general essay types. The main purpose of writing a critical thinking essay is to develop students’ critical thought and writing skills. When writing a critical thinking essay, you do not have to answer some questions but rather to analyze the chosen topic from inside out.
Critical Thinking Essay – Basic Principles
- Explanation: you have to explain why the chosen problem is worth investigating. Why do you regard your research to be significant?
- Comparison: while writing your critical thinking essay, draw parallels between your statement and some other opinions on the topic you are exploring.
- Analysis: make an objective analysis of the topic under consideration, discuss its different aspects, and present the results of your investigation in the critical thinking essay.
- Evaluation: State your personal opinion on the topic and support it by sufficient arguments and examples. Explain why your standpoint is the most correct one.
Critical Thinking Essay: Useful Advice
- Be precisely critical;
- Try to avoid stereotyped opinions;
- Present your original research.
Critical Thinking Essay Tips
- Resort to the recent publications. Thus, you will add some extra points for being a well-informed young researcher;
- Be persuasive. To be persuasive means to provide reasonable ideas, support them by evidences and explanations, and use corresponding language;
- Be consecutive. Mind links between the sentences of your critical thinking essay;
- Pick out a catchy topic. If none of the topics offered interests you, develop your own one;
- Use examples.
Take into consideration the information presented above. You will definitely learn to write good critical thinking essays and get only the best grades.
You can also read about a critical essay example or a college student essay on our weblog.